Updated: Thursday, 26 March 2020 at 5.00 pm
Find information on Christchurch Metro services here.
In Timaru, Environment Canterbury is responding by enabling the MyWay by Metro on-demand public transport service to operate, instead of running large buses. At COVID-19 Level Four, Timaru’s usual bus service is no longer operating.
The MyWay by Metro on-demand public transport service is available instead, strictly for essential travel only. To help keep our drivers safe, fares are not required.
People who can travel are;
- People working in essential services
- People needing to travel for medical reasons (but not if you are unwell)
- Essential trips to the supermarket.
If you, or your staff or customers, need public transport for these reasons, you can book your shared ride in the MyWay vehicle:
- Call 688 5544, or
- Download the MyWay by Metro app for easy bookings from Google Play or Apple.
This service is available 7am to 7pm, seven days a week, at no cost.
If you are unwell, please stay home and call Healthline on 0800 611 116.
Thanks for your understanding.
School bus services
Metro school bus services operated for the last time on Tuesday 24 March, and will recommence again when schools reopen.
We’ve been taking steps to ensure we’re prepared for COVID-19 in Timaru
Some of these steps include:
- asking passengers to follow the guidelines on self-isolation
- cleaning our vehicles on a regular basis and stepping up the cleaning of surfaces like handrails, stop buttons, and seat backs
- making sure the very latest information and advice from the Ministry of Health are being supplied to our staff and operators.
Some tips from the Ministry of Health:
- If you are unwell stay home.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose or mouth.
- Wash your hands with soap and water often, for at least 20 seconds.
- Cough or sneeze by covering your mouth and nose with tissues.
- If you don’t have a tissue, cough or sneeze into your upper sleeve or elbow.
- Use an alcohol-based hand sanitiser with more than 60 percent alcohol.
- Try to avoid close contact with people who are unwell.
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched surfaces and objects, such as doorknobs
Call Healthline on 0800 358 5453 if:
- you have any symptoms and have been to any countries or territories of concern
- you have been in close contact with someone confirmed with COVID-19.