Regional and local councils
In Greater Christchurch and Timaru, Environment Canterbury (Canterbury Regional Council) is responsible for:
- planning and tendering out the bus and ferry services
- marketing and providing information such as timetables, telephone services and websites.
- providing and maintaining passenger transport infrastructures such as bus exchanges, stops, and shelters.
- supplying the vehicles and drivers for the bus and ferry routes that they have been awarded through tender processes for the Greater Christchurch passenger transport network.
Ritchies Transport Holdings Ltd is responsible for:
- supplying the vehicles and drivers for the bus routes they have been awarded through tender processes for the Timaru passenger transport network and for some school services in Christchurch.