Privacy Statement for the Metro website
How we handle information about your visit to our website
Information collected and stored automatically
If you do nothing during your visit but browse through the website, read pages, or download information, we will gather and store information about your visit automatically. This information does not identify you personally. Information about your visit automatically collected and stored includes:
- the Internet domain (for example, "xcompany.co.nz" if you use a private Internet access account, or "yourschool.ac.nz" if you connect from a university's domain) and IP address (an IP address is a number that is automatically assigned to your computer whenever you are surfing the Web) from which you access our website
- the type of browser and operating system used to access our site
- the date and time you access our site
- the pages you visit; and
- if you visit Metro's website via a link from another website, the address of that website.
The website generates persistent session cookies for the purpose of monitoring website usage. The cookies do not collect personal information. You can disable them or delete them from your web browser without affecting your ability to use the website.
If you send us personal information
If you choose to provide us with personal information, for example by filling out a form with your personal information and submitting it to us through the website, we collect, use and retain that information to respond to your message and to help us get you the information you have requested.
We only share the information you give us with another government agency if your enquiry relates to that agency, or as otherwise required by law.
We do not create individual profiles with the information you provide or give it to any private organisations.
In some instances, your data is stored by external secure online service providers. We use:
Metro does not collect information for commercial marketing.
For site security purposes and to ensure that this service remains available to all users, this government computer system employs commercial software programs to monitor network traffic to identify unauthorised attempts to upload or change information, or otherwise cause damage.
Except for authorised law enforcement investigations, no other attempts are made to identify individual users or their usage habits.
Unauthorised attempts to upload information or change information on this service are strictly prohibited and may be punishable.
Notification of privacy breach
In the event of a privacy breach, we have established procedures for notifying the Privacy Commissioner and the individual affected, including setting out the reasonable steps we have taken to mitigate the effects of a privacy breach, should we be required to do so under law.
Links to other sites
The website has links to many other websites. In a few cases, we link to private organisations, with their permission. Once you link to another site, you are subject to the privacy and security policies of the new site. Metro does not have control over the policies or content of websites, which we link to for public convenience.
Access and correction
You have the rights under the Privacy Act 2020 to access and request correction of any personal information provided to Metro from your use of the website. To request access to or correction of your personal information, please contact us.
Call Recording Privacy Statement
As part of our commitment to providing the best possible service to our customers, we record telephone calls to our customer services team.
We record calls:
- for staff training purposes, to help us improve our service and to ensure the information we provide is consistent and accurate; and
to ensure we have an accurate record of your call, which may be needed to support any transactions that take place.
- If the telephone call coming through the customer service team is transferred to another staff member who elects to record it, the staff member will inform you that the conversation is being recorded at that stage, the purpose for which the recording is being made, and the identity of any intended recipients of the information collected.
We understand your personal information is important, and we are committed to protecting your privacy. Recordings will be securely stored.
You are advised that under the Privacy Act 2020 you have the right to enquire as to the personal information held by Metro and request that it be accurate.