Using your Metrocard saves you at least 25% compared to what a cash fare would cost you.
Metrocard - the cheaper, faster, smarter way to go
Check out these savings for travelling with a Metrocard around greater Christchurch
|Fare Zone||Single Fare||Daily maximum||Weekly maximum|
- For a single fare, you receive two hours of unlimited travel.
- For the daily maximum, you receive unlimited travel for one day.
- For the weekly maximum, you will receive unlimited trips within the same week (Monday to Sunday travelling within the same zone).
- When the weekly maximum is used Monday – Friday, you receive weekend travel free within the same zone.
- Children under-5 years-of-age, accompanied by a fare-paying passenger, can travel free-of-charge.
Transferring between zones
If you travel from the city on a zone 1 service and want to transfer onto a zone 2, 3 or Ferry service, ask the driver of your first bus to charge the zone 2, 3 or the special fare that applies for the ferry. That way, you don’t pay the zone 1 fare of the first bus and also the zone 2 or 3 fare.
For example: Sally lives in Rangiora and studies at Canterbury University. She travels on the Orbiter to Northlands, then hops on the Blue Line to get home. She tells the driver of the Orbiter to charge her a ‘zone 2’ fare. In doing so, she does not get charged the extra $2.65 for using the Orbiter within zone 1 but only the Blue Line fare of $3.85.